Kathryn E. Szewczyk
Katie Szewczyk concentrates her practice in all areas of estate and related tax planning, long-term care planning, special needs and disability planning as well as business succession planning. Katie also assists her clients with estate and trust administration, elder law and probate litigation matters.
Admitted to Practice:
- Guides clients through the estate planning process from initial meeting and drafting to execution of documents and re-titling of assets to optimize estate tax savings
- Manages probate matters such as formal and informal estate administrations, guardianships and conservatorships, including contested proceedings and those dealing with Rogers Authority
- Drafted intentionally defective grantor trusts (“IDGTs”) for succession and inheritance planning of multiple family businesses
- Prepared gift tax returns for transfers of multiple residences, estate tax return for estate of over $10 million and income tax returns for clients with wide variety of income sources
- Assisted in filing amicus brief on behalf of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Massachusetts Chapter ("MassNAELA") in the Massachusetts Appeals Court case of Heyn v. Director of the Office of Medicaid. The brief successfully argued in favor of the use of irrevocable income-only trusts (“IIOTs”) as a Medicaid planning tool, providing additional flexibility and predictability in long-term care planning for elders across the state. Read the full text of the decision here.
Katie joined Bowditch & Dewey, LLP in 2010 and has since held various positions within the firm. While a student at Suffolk University Law School, Katie worked as a law clerk in the Estate & Tax Planning practice area of Bowditch & Dewey, LLP and also interned at the Massachusetts State House for the Joint Committee on Education.
- Member, Board of Directors, Colony Retirement Homes
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member, Executive Committee, Estate & Business Planning Council of Worcester County
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys ("NAELA")
- Member, Massachusetts Chapter of NAELA
- Member, MetroWest Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Trusts & Estates Consortium
- Member, Women's Bar Association
- Member, Worcester County Bar Association
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association