Michael P. Angelini
He has extensive experience in matters relating to the rights and responsibilities of shareholders. His career reflects a combination of talents as a business lawyer and a trial lawyer. As a trial lawyer he has participated in cases which have significantly affected the development of business law in Massachusetts and has personally been responsible for complex trials in both Massachusetts and Federal Courts.
He is currently the Chairman of the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport) and was formerly a Director of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and has served on a variety of other public and quasi-public boards and commissions.
Mr. Angelini is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has twice received the Massachusetts Bar Association's Community Service Award. He served as President of the Worcester County Bar Association in 1983 and 1984 and as a member of the Executive Committee of the Association for several years. He is a founding Director of the Worcester County Bar Foundation and a Director of Community Legal Aid. Mike regularly lectures and participates in symposia on a variety of legal topics on behalf of the Massachusetts Bar Association, the Worcester County Bar Association, and Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, mostly with respect to matters involving trial practice and the resolution of business disputes.
He is a former member of the Executive Committee of the Judicial Nominating Committee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He was appointed to serve as a member of the Supreme Judicial Court Search Committee, to advise the Governor in connection with appointments to the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. He was an appointed member of the Criminal Justice Act Board for the Federal District of Massachusetts and has served as a special prosecutor for the Massachusetts Commission on Judicial Conduct. He served as Co-Chair of Governor-elect Deval Patrick's Transition Committee in 2006.
He was the firm's Managing Partner from 1990 to 1996 and became the firm's Chairman in 1997.
Admitted to Practice:
Mike joined the firm, then known as Bowditch, Gowetz & Lane, in 1968, following his graduation from Duke University School of Law, and was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar in November 1968. He was admitted to the Bar of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts in 1970.
Mike has been a partner of Bowditch & Dewey since 1973. He was the firm's Managing Partner from 1990 to 1996 and became the firm's Chairman in 1997.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chairman, Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport)
- Chairman, The Hanover Insurance Group
- Director, University of Massachusetts Medical Center Foundation, Inc., Commerce Bank & Trust Company, Worcester Municipal Research Bureau, Inc.
- Member, Worcester County, Massachusetts and American Bar Associations
- Former Chairman, Salvation Army Advisory Board
- Former Director, Flagship Bank & Trust Co., Worcester Area Chamber of Commerce, Mechanics Bank, Catholic Charities of Worcester, Worcester Area Drug Coalition
- Former President, Greater Worcester Community Foundation, Inc., Worcester County Bar Association
- Former President and Director, Worcester Economic Club, Inc., United Way of Central Massachusetts
- Former Chairman and Director, Massachusetts Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee
- Former Trustee, Clark University, Medical Center of Central Massachusetts, Inc., Worcester Memorial Hospital, Bancroft School, Worcester County Law Library Trust
- Former Chairman, Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research, Worcester Convention Center Study Committee, Northborough Housing Authority, Northborough Municipal Housing Committee, Northborough Bylaws Committee, Worcester Area Youth Resources Council, Worcester Community Services Youth Task Force
- Former Member, Worcester Social Service Corp., Northborough Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Member, Supreme Judicial Court Advisory Committee regarding Code of Judicial Conduct
- Mike is the recipient of the 2005 Isaiah Thomas Award, which is awarded annually to a citizen of Worcester for community leadership