Pamela E. Berman
Pam Berman is a trial lawyer with significant jury and non-jury trial experience. For more than 30 years, she has represented businesses in complex commercial disputes, assisted clients in employment disputes over trade secrets, allegations of discrimination, and non-competition agreements, and advised and represented broker-dealers and brokers in securities arbitrations and enforcement proceedings.
Pam has represented a national retail pharmacy on a wide variety of issues from real estate litigation to liquor licensing to operational issues. She has also defended both companies and individuals in criminal and administrative actions. Prior to joining Bowditch & Dewey, Pam represented an aviation manufacturer in contractual and product liability cases.
Pam currently serves as the Vice President of the Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus, a nonpartisan organization committed to increasing the number of women elected to public office and appointed to public policy positions. She also serves on the Emeritus Board of the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts, as well as the Advisory Committee for Judicial Nominations for the Federal Court in Boston which she has done since 2013.
In 2014, Pam received the Lelia J. Robinson award from the Women's Bar Association, and in 2013 she was honored with a Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly “Top Women of Law Circle of Excellence” award. She has been honored each year as one of Massachusetts’ top Super Lawyers since 2004 and named in Best Lawyers for many years. Pam is a past president of the National Conference of Women's Bar Associations and the Women's Bar Association of Massachusetts.
Admitted to Practice:
- Obtained significant victory in a breach of contract and employment dispute including Federal Court dismissal of all ten counterclaims asserted, resulting in issuance of landmark Massachusetts federal decision clarifying non-compete law on material change doctrine in favor of client
- Successfully defended national retail pharmacy against allegations of fraud in connection with the sale of commercial property in New Hampshire
- Strategized targets, researched and obtained two highly competitive liquor licenses for national retail pharmacy in Massachusetts
- Represented parties in complex securities fraud claims, breach of contract and 93A where investment advisor and his company defrauded investors of millions of dollars
- Successfully settled real estate lease disputes in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for national retail pharmacy
- Represented Massachusetts health insurer and provider in investigation by the State Attorney General’s Office
- Counseled many clients regarding enforceability of noncompete agreements
- Obtained directed verdict in jury trial of alleged fraud in connection with commercial real estate sale
- Defended and obtained acquittal of Shearson Lehman Brothers in a money laundering case after a six week jury trial
- Defended and after trial obtained a judgment in favor of company in a case involving claims of fraud in a public offering
- Drafted, argued and obtained injunctive relief for many commercial clients in a wide variety of disputes including non-competition, trade secret, brokerage and financial issues, trademark infringement, and the dissipation of assets
- Enforcement of non-solicitation covenants for major brokerage house
- Managed and defended over 100 bad faith claims against insurance companies attaining favorable outcomes through aggressive litigation and persuasive negotiation
- Defended insurance company and obtained favorable result in major environmental coverage litigation involving more than 40 sites worldwide and more than 25 years of contested coverage
- Represented global aircraft manufacturer in a multi-million dollar contract dispute
- Defended global aircraft manufacturer in civil litigation involving alleged mechanical failure following a plane crash
- Represented national corporation in multiple commercial and real estate disputes involving breach of contracts
- Board Member, Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus
- Mentor, WBA Women’s Leadership Initiative, 2015-2016
- Member, Advisory Committee on Judicial Nominations for the Federal Court in Boston
- Cornell Recruiting Team Leader
- Co-Chair, WBA Employment Issues Committee
- Member of BBA Task Force on Work-Life Balance
- Co-Author of WBA "More Than Part-Time" Report, 2000
- NCWBA and WBA Board Member
- ABA, MBA, BBA, WBA Member