Richard A. Sheils, Jr.
- represented institutional lenders in financing transactions involving renewable energy (solar photovoltaic), floor plan financings, asset-based loans, syndicated loans, bond transactions involving secondary schools, and investment tax credit financings;
- represented regional financial institutions and community banks and credit unions alike in commercial loan workouts involving real estate subdivisions; debt sales; liquidation of manufacturing plants; public and private secured party sales of tangible and intangible assets;
- counselled clients in the sale and purchase of solar energy; documented intercreditor agreements, SREC escrow agreements, ground leases, EPC contracts, and other agreements pertaining to solar energy projects; and structured multi-borrower/multi-state investment tax credit solar energy financings;
- served as counsel to the landlord in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of Kmart Corporation, Dehon, Inc. (Arthur D. Little, Inc.), and Frugal Fannie’s; represented creditors committees, secured creditors, licensors and other constituencies in bankruptcy cases; and successfully confirmed a competing Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization.
Rick is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and has been a partner in the firm since 1990. He is a co-author of Massachusetts Secured Transactions under Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code: Forms and Practice Manual (2002).
- Best Lawyers in America, (1990 - present)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Corporate Counsel Top Lawyer
Admitted to Practice:
Rick clerked during law school for Hon. John M. Meagher, Montgomery County (Ohio), Court of Common Pleas (1979-1981), and served as Associate Casenote Editor for The University of Dayton Law Review. Rick has participated in MCLE presentations on Article 9 of the Uniform Commerical Code and Mortgage Foreclosures.
- Former Chairman of the Board of Directors, American Red Cross of Central Massachusetts
- Former Chairman, Town of Holden Planning Board
- Corporator, Millbury Savings Bank
- Trustee and Corporator, Goddard/Homestead, Inc.
- Corporator, Worcester Children’s Friend, Inc.
- Former Trustee and Board President, Dynamy of Worcester, Inc.
- Former Chair, Commercial and Corporate Law Section, Worcester County Bar Association