Special Needs & Disability Planning
Bowditch & Dewey has a team of experienced lawyers that can assist with the many complex issues in the areas of Special Needs & Disability Planning for adults and minor children. At Bowditch & Dewey, our lawyers help craft solutions to give our clients financial security and peace of mind, for present day needs and for those that are anticipated for the future.
- Guidance and advice for estate planning, trust planning and planning for public assistance benefits (such as Medicaid, SSI, etc.)
- Trust preparation and drafting, including third party-type special needs trusts and first party (D4A)-type special needs trusts
- Trust implementation services
- Trust administration services
- Protection of inherited assets, including those via estates, other trusts, life insurance policies and/or retirement accounts
- Protection of assets acquired because of accident or injury, such as assets obtained via settlement, structured settlement or judgment
- Probate Court representation, including in guardianships, conservatorships, estate planning petitions and other proceedings
- Counseling Trustees concerning their roles, duties, authorities and legal obligations
- Coordination with other members of the client’s advisory team, including medical professionals, care managers, government agencies, financial planners, accountants and others
- Serving as Trustee of special needs trusts. (Our attorneys often serve as Trustee or as co-Trustee of special needs trusts and other types of trusts)
For more information on Special Needs and Disability Planning please follow the link provided to download our Special Needs Trust's guide.