Donna Truex is a practical real estate attorney with more than 24 years of problem-solving experience. She assists her clients with acquiring, using and developing real property throughout New England. Donna’s focus includes craft brewing and distilling, restaurant and hospitality establishments, as well as the acquisition and development of self-storage facilities and gas station/convenience stores. “I particularly enjoy being a part of my clients’ success stories,” notes Donna.
Donna loves dirt and its infinite possibilities. Whatever the industry or need, clients seek Donna’s practical advice and representation. She assists individual and business clients with the following real estate needs:
- Land use, development and permitting
- Licensing with the TTB, ABCC and LLA and other agencies
- Dispute resolution and complex title problems
- Title insurance underwriting and claims
- Mergers and acquisitions
Donna is licensed to practice in Florida and Massachusetts, because she has many snowbird clients, and is a title agent in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.
She and others at Bowditch are known for being flexible, knowledgeable, collaborative and able to get the job done. “We aspire to resolve issues creatively, efficiently and economically,” Donna explains. “While I often help clients embroiled in real estate claims and disputes, I don’t identify myself as a litigator.” Donna regularly appears before state and local boards to acquire licenses and permits and the Land Court to resolve complex land issues. Throughout the process, Donna says, “I keep my eye on the bottom line and on solutions.”
- 2014 – Outstanding Women in Business Award by the Worcester Business Journal
Donna is mother of three grown children, travels with her husband, is certified as a deep water scuba diver, vacations on the Vineyard and reads legal novels (the law is her passion).
- Member, Women’s Bar Association
- Chair, Central Massachusetts Committee of the Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Worcester County Bar Association
- Member, Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Board Member, Y.O.U, Inc.
Articles + Talks
- “Support the WooSox Public Investment,” Worcester Business Journal, November 12, 2018
- “Bill To Revise Delinquent Property Tax Collection Is A Lose-Lose,” Banker & Tradesman, December 6, 2015
- “Re-Purposing Real Estate: How That Abandoned Building Could be Your Next Brewery,” Craft Brewing Business, August 17, 2015
- “3rd Annual Economic Development Summit: Regional Economic Development – A Central Mass Partnership,” Bowditch & Dewey, Worcester, Massachusetts, November 1, 2017
- “How to be a Success without being a B**tch: Can it be done?” Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce’s 7th Annual Worcester Women’s Leadership Conference, Worcester, Massachusetts, April 14, 2016
- Women’s Information Network, Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce, Worcester, Massachusetts, December 16, 2014
- Licensed Title Agent in MA, NH, and ME
- J.D., cum laude, Western New England College of Law
- M.S., (pending), Bay Path University
- B.S., Bentley University
- Developer in $122 million sale of its portfolio of properties located in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Florida.
- Company in $32 million refinance of 100 stores throughout New England and expansion of portfolio.
- Complex title litigation in Land Court, including petitions to partition, actions to quiet title and tax title foreclosures.
- Respond to compliance issues and request to reinstate liquor license before the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC).
- Obtained licensing for a hotly contested brewery/beer garden in an artisan market place.
- Assisted client with location selection, lease negotiation and securing financing for a start-up brewery.
- Restructured client brewery to remove member and restructure financing.