Jay Lander is Of Counsel at Bowditch & Dewey, as well as a founding partner of Lander & Lander. He is a graduate of both Harvard College and Harvard Law School, and has practiced exclusively in the area of sophisticated estate planning, estate administration and related taxation since 1962. He works closely with his clients to craft plans that are both customized to meet their needs, and reflect the most up-to-date changes in the law, including:
- Revocable trusts
- Irrevocable insurance trusts
- Grantor retained annuity trusts
- Charitable remainder trusts
- Powers of Attorney
- Health care proxies
In addition to the above, Jay provides legal advice in connection with the administration of estates, including and without limitation, estate tax compliance and the liquidation and distribution of estate and trust assets.
He has been recognized by his peers as a Massachusetts “Super Lawyer,” as published in Boston Magazine.
Prior to establishing Lander & Lander, Jay served as a tax attorney for the Office of the Regional Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service in New York City, and was associated with, and later became a partner of, the Framingham law firm of Sheridan, Garrahan & Lander (which later merged with the Worcester law firm of Bowditch & Dewey) where he practiced estate planning and tax law.
- Past President, South Middlesex Bar Association
- Former Hearing Examiner, Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
- Past President, Greater Boston Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
- Past Chairman, Framingham Union Hospital
- Former Board Member, Friends of the Framingham Heart Study
- Former Board Member, Metrowest Community Health Care Foundation
Articles + Talks
Jay has lectured on the subject of estate planning to various professional groups and lay groups for over 50 years.
- U.S. District Court for Massachusetts
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- LLB Harvard Law School
- AB Harvard College