The Director of Human Resources is responsible for developing and executing Human Resources strategy and operations in support of the Firm’s strategic direction. Will lead a department that is responsible for HR policy development and implementation, employee relations, performance management, compensation, and benefit design and administration.
- Directs the Firm’s Human Resource functions: develops, organizes and ensures the effective implementation of all personnel programs. Advises all levels of management in the areas of personnel policies, compliance issues, performance management, problem resolution, discipline and termination. Prepares and manages the department budget.
- Formulates and recommends new or modifies existing personnel policies. Maintains Policy Manual and ensures that all changes, additions and deletions are handled in a timely manner and communicated to Firm personnel.
- Sets long and short-term goals for the HR function, participates in firm-wide planning and initiatives, and based on these goals and objectives, prepares and manages the department budget.
- Provides coaching, consultation and support that contributes to the needs and business direction of the Firm.
- Conducts disciplinary and/or termination meetings with employees.
- Manages specific HR projects as well as participating in cross-functional initiatives.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Ensures compliance with legal requirements and government regulations, including EEO, FLSA, FMLA, PFMLA, Title VII, etc.
- Supports Firm’s management principles, policies and programs and ensures they are applied fairly.
- Manages voluntary and involuntary separation processes, conducts exit interviews, and participates in termination meetings.
- Works with managers and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Effectively applies performance management to ensure that employees’ level of performance and capabilities meet current and future standards.
- Focuses on employee engagement and retention strategies to help retain key staff by identifying trends, providing recommendations and implementing new initiatives.
- Works with the Managing Partner, Executive Director, Practice Area Leaders and Business Operations team to develop staffing plans that effectively optimize talent, address performance gaps and develop performance and culture.
- Develop and implement a lateral integration program to effectively integrate and appropriately support new lateral attorneys.
- Working with the Executive Director, Practice Area Leaders, and others will assist in the implementation of firm-wide attorney development and other training programs.
- Working with the Executive Director and Practice Area Leaders is responsible for the Associate Attorney hiring process.
- Works with designated Partners in overseeing the Firm’s Summer Associate Program, including the hiring, assignment and evaluation process.
- Working with the Executive Director and Practice Area Leaders will manage the Associate attorney and Income Partner evaluation process.
- Management and supervision of Firm Paralegals.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- 5-7 years of progressive Human Resources management experience in a fast paced, challenging environment. Professional services experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field required.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing and leading HR teams.
- Strong client service focus with the ability to establish credibility and build strong relationships at all levels through periods of significant change.
- Highly detail-oriented with strong project management skills.
- Demonstrates high level of confidentiality, diplomacy and excellent judgment in navigating sensitive issues.
This is an excellent opportunity that provides a competitive compensation package and a professional environment. The Director of Human Resources will play a key role in the Firm as it builds for the future.
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost effective representation and successful results, please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer