Bowditch is seeking an experienced Trust & Estates Paralegal to support attorneys in the growing Estate, Financial & Tax Planning practice area. This position is at our Worcester location. The Trust & Estates paralegal handles a wide variety of tasks to assist attorneys in their practices, including drafting trust and estate documents and communicating with clients. The candidate will be responsible for assisting attorneys, other paralegals and firm members with all aspects of estate planning and trust administration work in a team-oriented practice group.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Performance of all phases of trust and estate administration, to include but are not limited to, the following:
- Organizing and analyzing asset information
- Valuation of assets and strategize allocation to subtrusts
- Preparation of inventories, asset allocation agreements, asset transfer documents, and Judicial Council forms
- Researching and drafting grant deeds, trust transfer deeds, and supporting documents
- Drafting probate pleadings, including fiduciary reports/accountings, Spousal Property petitions, Heggstad petitions, etc.
- Assisting with Estate and Gift Tax return preparation
- The ability to disseminate information from bank, brokerage and other financial statements
Additional responsibilities include:
- Maintaining checkbooks and banking records; paying bills, and computing and disbursing beneficiary distributions; computing and payment of executor and trustee commissions; preparation of formal and informal estate and trust accountings; Marshalling assets and arranging for valuation as necessary.
- Probate Court practice responsibilities include: Reading and interpreting Wills and trust instruments; prepare and file all documents required for probate wills; prepare receipt and release agreements, disclaimers, affidavits, accounting petitions; handle issuance and revocation of letters and other miscellaneous proceedings, including preparation of petitions and overseeing service on interested parties.
- Proficient to advanced with MS Word, Excel, Office, and Publisher
- Familiarity with local court rules and procedures is critical
- Knowledge of records management applications such as NetDocs is a plus
- Paralegal Certification from an approved program is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of paralegal experience in Trust & Estates and probate administration, preferably in a law firm
- Excellent communication skills
- Must possess excellent writing and research skills
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost effective representation and successful results, please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer