Bowditch & Dewey, LLP is seeking a Practice Area Legal Assistant to join our Boston office team. This is a full-time, 40-hour position.
The candidate will support members of the Litigation and Business & Finance Practice Areas. They will work closely with legal assistants in the department and handle a variety of tasks, ranging from basic filing to project work, with a strong focus on providing excellent client service and administrative support for our team members. Our fast-paced practice requires a committed team player with top-notch technology skills, good judgment, initiative, patience and humor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prioritizing work among assignments and meeting specific deadlines on projects.
- Coordinating document preparation, proofreading, copying, scanning and saving documents as needed.
- Working with complex documents and applying formatting and styles.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with the preparation of closing documents and exhibits.
- Organizing and managing electronic and paper files in compliance with current Firm policies.
- Performing routine filing (both electronic and paper) and retrieving files as needed.
- Assisting in coordinating docketing calendar, timekeeper Outlook calendars, event registrations, expense reports, travel and meeting arrangements.
- Preparing and processing ingoing/outgoing mail (electronic and paper); arranging for specialized mail or messenger services as required. Ensuring that all attachments, exhibits and enclosures are included.
Providing administrative support:
- Assisting with new client/matter intake process.
- Scheduling meetings and arranging for conference rooms.
- Preparing expense reports. Inputting/updating attorney time entries.
- Assist with client billing.
- Answering phones.
- Assisting with projects as assigned by department team members.
Cooperating with team efforts:
- Serving as backup to other legal groups as directed.
- Working cooperatively with other departments and individuals in the firm.
- Performing other duties within the Boston office as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 2-3 years of experience providing legal administrative support in a law firm. Litigation experience is preferred.
- Strong technology skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to properly format, redline and stylize complex documents. Experience with iHyperstyles is a plus.
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies.
- Experience with navigating a document management system, preferably NetDocuments.
- Strong organizational skills, with great attention to detail.
- Ability to learn Firm operations, policies and procedures.
- Works effectively, calmly and quickly under pressure in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to maintain and handle confidential information.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines.
- Initiative, flexibility, resiliency and a willingness to adapt to change.
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost-effective representation and successful results, please:
Send resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer