Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, has an opening in the Framingham office for a Real Estate & Environmental Partner-Level Attorney.
Must have extensive experience with complex real estate and land use transactions. Our team-based, client-focused approach to representing our clients is based on the creation of project teams of lawyers (partners and associates), paralegals and staff across practice specialties for each project that work together to provide clients with the best, most comprehensive, seamless representation available. We are looking for the right Partner-level attorney to join our team.
The successful attorney will have extensive experience in:
- Acquisition, financing, development, and leasing of office parks, shopping centers, industrial complexes, affordable housing, assisted living facilities, facilities of higher education, and residential developments.
- Guiding real estate owners, developers, and investors through the maze of government regulation and financing requirements, construction issues and tax considerations that confront them.
- Environmental development issues including wetlands, brownfields and contaminated property issues, and compliance with both NEPA and MEPA regulations.
- Business-focused and creative problem-solving mindset with ability to balance legal risk and business impact.
- Ability to conceptualize and articulate pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions to complex legal and business challenges.
- Developing business, both new and with existing clients, with proven ability to generate/originate new matters.
- Meeting with potential referral sources through networking events, lunches, and social gatherings.
- Creating an overall business development/marketing strategy designed to grow and expand one’s practice and client base.
- Having a positive attitude, good listening skills, ambition, self-confidence, and good organizational, communication and writing skills.
- Reviewing, analyzing, negotiating and drafting leases, lease amendments, subleases, lease assignments, termination agreements, settlement agreements, purchase and sale agreements for office and industrial properties, construction contracts, sourcing and vendor agreements, services agreements and other real estate contracts and related documentation (e.g., easement agreements, lien releases, title reports, CC&Rs, etc.).
- Managing and providing strategic legal advice for the resolution of construction, rent and occupancy audit, maintenance and other landlord/tenant and real estate related disputes.
- Collaborating with peers to develop more innovative and creative ways to get the Real Estate Law team’s work done.
- Analyzing, addressing, and providing legal advice to a cross-functional team of lawyers in all practices areas.
Your skill set needs to include:
- Significant experience representing buyers, sellers, owners, tenants, lenders, and borrowers in commercial real estate transactions.
- Mature, experienced approach to the practice of law.
- Strong people skills suitable for a client-focused business.
- Strong academic and professional credentials.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and bring added value.
- Sound legal judgment, initiative, and versatility.
- Experience appearing before various land use/zoning boards.
- Partner/Counsel-level attorney with 10+ years of focused experience in complex real estate and land use transactions.
- We are looking for someone with a wide range of real estate experience, business acumen, and dispute resolution and leadership skills.
- Must have a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
- Be licensed to practice law in the state of Massachusetts. (Member of the Massachusetts Bar) Multiple state Bar admissions are a plus.
- Applicants with portable business are strongly encouraged to apply.
We provide a competitive compensation package with vacation, 401k, co-paid medical and dental and more.
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge, and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in joining us and becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost-effective representation, and successful results, please send cover letter and resume to:
Send resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer