Executive Director of Human Resources, Equity & Inclusion
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the COO/CFO and Vice-President of Administrative Services, the Executive Director of Human Resources, Equity & Inclusion is responsible for bringing skillful and assertive leadership to the coordination and administration of the College’s Human Resources Department. In addition, they are responsible for leading, ensuring and promoting a culture that demonstrates, reflects, and values equity, inclusion, and diversity, through practices, policies, behaviors, and through organizational change and development. Additional responsibilities include creative and efficient management of personnel, hiring and recruitment mechanisms, consistent application of policies and procedures across the College, data and record-keeping, staff development and training. Acts as an advisor to the administration in all phases of labor relations, and together with the Affirmative Action Officer, assists in the development, administration, and monitoring of all activities related to the implementation of the College’s EEO/Affirmative Action Plan.
Reports directly to the COO/CFO and Vice-President of Administrative Services.
Supervises professional and clerical staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the executive officer for the College’s Human Resource office, functions and operations.
- Ensures the fair, consistent, and timely development, implementation, and application of human resource policies at the College.
- Advises the President on all human resource matters, including employment, compensation, recruitment, retention, equity, and inclusion.
- Works closely with the Executive Assistant to the President for Policy, Governance and Diversity, to develop, implement and incorporate into new and existing policies and procedures and training, components that promote, and ensure that the College’s goals for equity, inclusion, and diversity are met.
- Drives the design and development of creative, competitive compensation and benefit packages to attract, retain and develop a talented and diverse workforce of full-time and part-time employees.
- Builds a culture that values transparency, communication, collaboration, and inclusion.
- Brings assertive leadership to recruiting a diversified and well-qualified staff through innovative measures designed to attract and retain faculty and staff at all levels of the institution.
- Assesses and continuously revises and implements employee policies and procedures for consistency and simplicity.
- Drives the development and updating a user-friendly college employee policies and procedures handbook.
- Provides assistance and counseling to staff regarding employee benefits and oversees the orientation process for new employees.
- Manages the implementation of a comprehensive staff development program designed to address the significant training needs of a college intent upon retooling itself to meet the needs of its students and ensure their success.
- Oversees and implements staff recognition programs.
- Manages the ongoing integration and maintenance of the Commonwealth’s PeopleSoft HR/CMS with the College’s ERP system.
- Facilitates and mediates a harmonious employee relations program.
- Manages the Non unit Professional Performance Review and Compensation Program.
- Serves as a leader, not just a manager, functioning as part of a management team that fosters pride and excellence in the institution in a human, supportive environment.
- Ensures that all Human Resource area programs, support services, and systems are user-friendly, supportive of the college’s mission of affordability, accessibility, and quality for all students (credit and non-credit), and are constantly assessed and revised to achieve and maintain state of the art currency.
- Advances the core principles of the College’s mission, vision and strategic priorities, providing leadership and opportunity in this area for all staff; setting a high standard of performance for both self and staff, nurturing and supporting their achievement while modeling behavior supportive of institutional values and goals.
- Ensures effective communication throughout both the Human Resources area and the college community. Maintaining appropriate records in all areas including communications.
- Actively supports the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the classroom; striving to create and support a student-centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence.
- Works actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork. Respecting the function of dissent in an academic institution while advancing a collegial atmosphere of campus collaboration.
- Embraces the ideals of diversity and inclusiveness and supporting the equal rights of all people by advancing the understanding and appreciation of differences including age, race, gender, ability, religious convictions, socio-economic status, ethnic heritage, or sexual orientation.
- Provides flexible, responsive, and high quality customer service to all whom we serve, be they students, community or staff, and continually assessing processes and procedures to revise accordingly.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree (MBA, MPA, or MS ) with a concentration in Human Resources, Organizational Psychology, Business, or related field; 10 years of experience planning, implementing and managing organization wide human resources operations including at least 3 years of executive level experience or comparable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resources operations, best practices, and experience in areas such as; organizational behavior, employee relations, talent acquisition, performance management, compensation, benefits and employee development
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, including experience with developing and implementing programs, policies and practices directed to building, supporting and enhancing diversity in a welcoming, supportive and inclusive organization.
- Strategic and operational problem solving and analytical ability including data analysis, financial and budget management and planning; ability to use data to inform and influence decisions.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work and lead collaboratively.
- Professional experience leading enterprise wide organizational development and design initiatives.
- Experience with labor relations and collective bargaining.
- Prior professional human resources experience in higher education or other similarly complex environment involving working with and advising senior executives.
- Experience in policy formulation, development, and implementation of key HR strategies and procedures.
- Specialized training in management, planning and compensation.
- Professional certifications such as SHRM, Talent Management, Six Sigma, and/or other related professional certifications are strongly preferred
- Experience with Commonwealth of Massachusetts personnel systems, group insurance programs, and retirement systems.