We demonstrate our commitment to diversity through our programs and policies as well as by our active involvement and support. Moreover, diversity initiatives are closely integrated with our mentoring, professional development and flexible-work programs.
A key priority for our Diversity Committee is the recruitment and retention of a diverse group of lawyers and staff. A member of the Diversity Committee serves on the Hiring Committee for summer associates. The firm posts open positions with diversity-related organizations.
Our Diversity Committee is chaired by a partner, AiVi Nguyen, and the group hosts quarterly, firm-wide educational programs with all employees and sponsors other internal and external events and initiatives. “We’re committed to progress within the firm,” according to AiVi, “and in the communities where we live and work.” For example, AiVi serves on the City of Worcester’s Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee and the board of directors of the United Way of Central Massachusetts. By collaborating with clients, nonprofit organizations and bar associations, we support and encourage diversity awareness and inclusion within our communities.
We invite you to read our blog LGBTQ Legal Issues, providing news and legal analysis on issues affecting the LGBTQ community. It is the only blog of its kind produced by a law firm of significant size.
Please read a more detailed description of our Women’s Initiative.
Commitment to Diversity and Progress
Obtaining the most qualified individuals requires actively seeking applicants from all walks of life. Therefore, our Hiring Partner and Director of Human Resources seek applicants from a diverse pool of candidates. We also participate in various internship programs that focus on introducing the field of law to minority college and high school students, such as:
- Bottom Line
- Bruce Wells Scholars Summer Work Study Program
- The Nelson Fellowship Program
Bowditch continues to be a leader in eliminating barriers and encouraging diversity. We are as flexible as reasonably possible in accommodating people with special needs. We provide or support:
- Diversity Initiative/Training
- Balanced Hours Policy
- Women’s Initiative
- Mentor Program
- Civic and Community Involvement
Civic & Bar Involvement
Our lawyers and staff don’t just show up. We contribute meaningfully to the diversity-related programs and to the boards and committees on which we serve. This is well-known in the communities in which we serve. We are involved with the following diversity-related organizations as well as others:
- Alliance for MetroWest Unity’s John P. Garrahan MetroWest Community Prayer Breakfast
- International Action Network for Gender Equity & Law (IANGEL)
- Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- United Way of Central Massachusetts’, including Women’s Initiatives, Stepping Up for Girls, and Day of Caring
- YWCA’s Stand Against Racism
- Worcester Judicial Youth Corps
- Centro Las Americas, Inc.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay
- Southeast Asian Coalition of Central Massachusetts
- LGBTQ Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association / Women’s Bar Foundation
- Worcester Young Women’s Association
- Center for Living & Working
- National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys