Bowditch is committed to the advancement and success of our women lawyers.
The Women’s Initiative at Bowditch provides an internal network of support to encourage growth and achievement. Members actively promote women inside and outside the firm, create a strong sense of team among our women, and support business development efforts.
Internally, we host quarterly meetings for female lawyers and senior administrative staff. During these meetings, we report on external initiatives for organizations with which we are involved and ensure that we maintain our ongoing presence. Also during these meetings, we focus on career advancement by discussing business books and tactics.
Throughout the year, we host networking events for our female clients and referral sources and provide educational programs focused on the needs and interests of female professionals.
Our female lawyers serve in a variety of leadership positions within the firm and throughout the community. Every female attorney is a member of the Women’s Bar Association. Robert Cox, Managing Partner, James Hanrahan, immediate past Managing Partner, and John Shoro, Estate, Financial & Tax Planning Practice Area Leader, are among the first male members of the WBA.
- Donna Truex is Chair of Bowditch’s Women’s Initiative and the Central Massachusetts Committee of the Women’s Bar Association
- Katherine Garrahan is Chair of the MetroWest Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Lynette Paczkowski is President for the Worcester County Bar Association
- Jennifer Garner and Laura Plourde participated in the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s Women’s Leadership Program
- Kristin Shirahama is a past President of the Women’s Bar Association
- AiVi Nguyen is Chair of the United Way of Central Massachusetts
Not only is our firm abundant with successful women lawyers, we are proud to note that over two-thirds of our administrative team are women, which is led by our female Executive Director, Tina Bussone.
Recent Awards and Recognition
- Bowditch received a legal marketing award for our women’s initiative
- Katherine Garrahan and Kristin Shirahama are among Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s “Top Women of the Law”
- Donna Truex and AiVi Nguyen received the Worcester Business Journal Outstanding Women in Business Award
- Kristin Shirahama was awarded the Women’s Bar Association Pro Bono Award for her volunteer work with the Foundation’s Elder Law Project
- Jennifer Garner received the Environmental Business Council of New England’s Ascending Leader Award
History of Female Leadership
For decades, Bowditch has been at the forefront of the advancement of women in law firms. In 1955, Irene Gowetz became a named partner at the firm (then known as Bowditch, Gowetz and Lane) at a time when there were few women attorneys at major law firms, much less partners. In 2003, Bowditch launched its Women’s Initiative with the goal of supporting the advancement and retention of women at the firm.
Jane Hawkes is a former Managing Partner at Bowditch and one of the first women to serve a major Massachusetts law firm in that position and currently leads the firm’s Boston office. Jane is also the leader of the firm’s Business & Finance Practice Group.