Kristin Wildman Shirahama
Kristin brings a wealth of experience to the preparation of estate plans, including blended families, second marriages, and same-sex couples, and families with elders, disabilities or other special needs. While minimizing taxes is a key component, there is more to estate planning than saving taxes. An appropriate plan must address the particular needs of a client’s family.
- Developing strategies to protect and transfer wealth in a tax-efficient manner, including wills and trusts
- Advising business owners and entrepreneurs on tax and business succession
- Counseling personal representatives and family members through the probate of estates, including issues triggered upon the death of a family member
- Serving as executor and trustee for estate and trust administration
- Advice on long-term care planning to preserve client resources and access Medicaid (MassHealth) and preparation and filing of applications for government benefits
- Preparation of special needs trusts and advice on government benefits for individuals with disabilities
In 2015, Kristin was awarded the Women’s Bar Association Pro Bono Award for her volunteer work with the Foundation’s Elder Law Project. She was also selected as a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2009-2012 and 2014 in the fields of estate planning and probate law, and a Top Women Attorney in 2013 and 2014.
Prior to joining Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, Kristin was a partner at Rosenberg, Freedman & Lee LLP in Newton, MA, and was a clinical instructor at the Hale & Dorr Legal Services Center of Harvard Law School where she focused on estate and permanency planning for families affected by HIV and AIDS.
Admitted to Practice:Massachusetts
- President, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (MA NAELA)
- Member, Boston Bar Association – Trusts & Estates Section
- Class Member, 2011-12 Women’s Leadership Initiative
- Former Trustee, Women’s Bar Foundation
- Former Member, The Boston Foundation Professional Advisors Network