Campaign Finance & Compliance
Bowditch & Dewey’s Campaign Finance & Compliance practice advises individuals, corporations and committees regarding the complex requirements and guidelines of campaign financing. In particular, we advise on compliance with the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) as amended by the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA) and the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA) as amended by the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act (HLOGA).
Bowditch & Dewey attorneys work with clients to achieve their goals while navigating legal mandates associated with the following activities:
- Federal Election Commission (FEC) reporting requirements and completion of FECA forms
- Reimbursement and refund of excessive contributions
- Corporate jet use by candidates and in-kind contributions
- Soft money contributions to political parties
- Individual, corporate and lobbyist gifts to congressional members and staff
One area of interest and concern for both politicians and corporations is dealing with Political Action Committees (PACs). Bowditch & Dewey’s Campaign Finance & Compliance practice helps clients form PACs and operate them effectively to achieve client goals. Among the issues we address are:
- Formation of political action committees and advice concerning PAC governance and compliance
- Use of corporate facilities for administrative purposes of the PAC and fundraising for candidates
- Use of payroll deductions for PAC contributions
We also help clients take a proactive approach to campaign financing law compliance by providing training to employees and by performing rigorous compliance reviews and internal investigations to identify existing vulnerabilities in internal controls and compliance practices.