David Mawhinney Spoke at “2020 Bankruptcy Bench Meets Bar: Part 2” (Webinar)
On June 25, 2020, The Boston Bar Association hosted the second part of their 2020 Bankruptcy Bench Meets Bar webinar. David Mawhinney spoke on a panel discussing the Small Business Reorganization Act. Below is more information about the two panels and the topics they will address:
Impact of COVID-19 Emergency Measures on Chapter 13
This panel discussed impacts of COVID-19 pandemic emergency measures on Chapter 13 practice, including the following:
- Changes to bankruptcy law under the CARES Act.
- Massachusetts Emergency Act (H.4647) placing a moratorium on foreclosures and evictions and its potential impact on the bankruptcy practice.
- Potential pre-emption issues that have arisen in with respect to prior foreclosure
prevention laws passed in Massachusetts. The Small Business Reorganization Act In Action
This panel’s discussion included the following:
- Legal opinions regarding new Subchapter V of Chapter 11 since it became effective in February and how the holdings in these cases might impact future filings.
- Steve Weiss, the first appointed small business SubChapter V trustee in Massachusetts, will discuss his (evolving) approach to SBRA cases as a trustee and how he expects to conduct the initial meeting with the debtor and the status conference.