Bowditch & Dewey, LLP, has an opening for a Partner Attorney in its Employment & Labor Group. The successful candidate may be based in any of our three locations: Boston, Framingham or Worcester. The firm’s Employment & Labor Group consists of a highly dedicated team of employment law specialists representing some of the largest employers in Massachusetts. Chambers USA recognizes our Labor & Employment practice among the most notable in Massachusetts.
The successful candidate must have a book of portables in the “healthy growth” stages and have a strong desire to grow that book over time. The individual must also have extensive experience with complex labor and employment law matters and must be willing to work collaboratively/cross market with members in other practice area groups. Bowditch will support the individual’s business development efforts, while also providing additional work as the candidate continues to build his or her own practice.
Our team-based, client-focused approach to representing our clients is based on the creation of project teams of lawyers (partners and associates), paralegals and staff across practice specialties for each project that work together to provide clients with the best, most comprehensive, seamless representation available. We are looking for a team-oriented, entrepreneurial partner to join our team.
The successful attorney will have experience in:
- Litigating employment cases, including termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour matters. Trial experience, while not required, is a plus.
- Taking and defending depositions on complicated labor and employment matters.
- Providing business-focused, creative and client- centric problem-solving mindset with ability to balance legal risk and business impact.
- Thinking collaboratively to create common sense solutions to complex employment problems.
- Conceptualizing and articulating pragmatic/creative counseling and advice to clients.
- Developing business with proven ability to generate/originate new matters.
- Developing/maximizing potential referral sources through networking events, lunches, and social gatherings.
- Creating an overall business development/marketing strategy designed to grow and expand one’s practice and client base.
- Maintaining a positive attitude, good listening skills, ambition, self-confidence, and good organizational, communication and writing skills.
- Reviewing, analyzing, negotiating and drafting employment contracts, termination agreements, settlement agreements, employment releases, labor contracts, and other labor and employment contracts and related documentation.
- Analyzing, addressing, and providing legal advice to a cross-functional team of lawyers in all practice areas.
- Significant experience representing employers, large and small, in employment disputes.
- Mature, experienced team approach to the practice of law.
- Strong people skills suitable for a client-focused business.
- Strong academic and professional credentials.
- Ability to prioritize and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and bring added value.
- Sound legal judgment, initiative, and versatility.
- A client base with portable billings in “growth mode.”
- Strong employment litigation and counseling experience.
- First-chair experience handling employment trials is a plus.
- Candidates must have a wide range of labor and employment law experience, business acumen, dispute resolution and leadership skills.
- Must have a Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Massachusetts (Member of the Massachusetts Bar). Multiple state Bar admissions are a plus.
We provide a competitive compensation package with vacation, 401k, co-paid medical and dental and more.
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost effective representation and successful results, please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer