Governmental Investigations and Defense
Bowditch & Dewey’s Governmental Investigations and Defense group is poised to handle virtually every area of criminal and regulatory government enforcement, including, but not limited to, tax evasion, securities fraud and insider trading, healthcare enforcement and litigation, antitrust violations, environmental crimes, and OSHA violations. The depth of our collective government experience provides us with a strategic understanding of all levels of government prosecutions as well as enhanced credibility with government attorneys and officials.
In recent years, our lawyers have represented mutual fund companies, financial institutions, broker-dealers, public companies and their officers and employees in a range of investigations and cases brought by state and federal authorities.
Broad areas of service:
- Corporate investigations and related crisis management
- Corporate and individual defense
- Forensic services
We provide representation at every step of a corporate crisis, from the earliest stages of governmental investigations through trial. We also offer advice and counseling to our clients on how to avoid an expensive and distracting governmental investigation before it begins. Our Government Investigations and Defense group is made up of top-tier trial lawyers who are not afraid to take a case to trial when the client agrees that it is in their best interest.
Our lawyers conduct internal investigations and defend clients in the riskiest matters and in bet-the-company cases. We excel at advising on corporate governance issues, structuring compliance programs and guiding our clients safely through governmental inquiries.
Lawyers in our Government Investigations and Defense group work closely with the firm’s other practice groups to ensure that our clients benefit from the breadth and depth of the firm’s expertise.
- Investigated and disclosed financial malfeasance by corporate client CFO to IRS and state tax authorities and minimized trust fund penalty assessments; successfully brought claims against CFO and recovered client’s costs.
- Represented multi-national financial services company in an investigation by state regulatory agencies into client’s alleged complicity into health care fraud.
- Internal investigation of billion dollar corporate client’s allegation of fraudulent invoice and expense practices unraveling widespread scheme and saving the client millions in fraudulent expense payments annually.
- Investigated national healthcare company in employee-kickback scheme by technology vendor. Investigation resulted in conviction of responsible individuals and avoided additional federal inquiries.