Mary T. Feeney
Mary Feeney’s practice focuses on real estate development and land use, construction services, general representation of colleges, universities, and secondary schools, commercial and retail leasing, facilities-related regulatory, code and licensing matters, and transactional matters for higher education and other non-profit organizations.
Mary has extensive experience representing colleges, universities and secondary schools in business, operational, regulatory, and licensing matters. She specializes in construction, real estate, student and academic affairs, including faculty relations, and governance matters drawing on her practice for over ten years as a University Attorney at the Office of the General Counsel at Harvard University and the representation of local and regional colleges and universities and non-profit organizations.
Mary recently represented a land trust in the acquisition of 12.5 acres from a municipality for the purpose of preservation, public access and education, sustainable agriculture and animal husbandry, and responsible environmental stewardship, including preparation of draft Town Meeting votes and providing advice on possible bid challenges under the public procurement laws. She also recently drafted and negotiated 95 year ground lease for development of an environmental center on a college campus and drafted and negotiated a construction contract for development of a new facility with a project cost of $25 million.
For a college consortium, Mary negotiated a purchase agreement for land and drafted and negotiated a Design-Build Agreement for the development of a $13.5 million library annex/book depository. Mary has advised non-profit boards on governance matters including board restructuring and comprehensive bylaw revisions.
Mary is a frequent lecturer on education law, zoning, real estate, construction and regulatory topics. She has been selected by her peers to be included among the Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2015 editions in the field of Education Law.
Admitted to Practice:
- Trustee, YWCA Central Massachusetts
- Trustee, Applewild School, Fitchburg
- Chair, Partnerships for a Skilled Workforce Inc.
- Member, Executive Committee, Massachusetts Workforce Board Association
- Member, National Association for Industrial and Office Parks
- Member and Former Chair, Colleges and Universities Section, of the Boston Bar Association
- Member and Former Chair, Zoning and Land Use Committee of the Real Estate Section of the Boston Bar Association
- Member, Development Committee, Boston Chamber of Commerce