Rory is a versatile, business-oriented lawyer who enjoys a diverse practice focused on corporate and real estate transactional matters. Representing clients of all sizes, from small family businesses to national and international companies, Rory thinks and acts like a “deal lawyer,” utilizing a client-centric approach built on trust, predictability, and an understanding of his client’s business and industry-specific issues.
Rory’s M&A practice involves representing mostly middle-market buyers and sellers in a wide range of stock and asset-based transactions. On a day-to-day basis, he provides general corporate advice to his business clients on matters relating to corporate governance, equity and executive compensation, licensing, service and supply agreements, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and contracts.
Rory’s real estate work involves commercial acquisitions and sales, development projects, real estate financing, commercial leasing, construction and landlord/tenant issues. Rory has served as lead contract counsel for a financial institution’s national real estate portfolio, where he negotiated and drafted leases, construction agreements, property services agreements, and power supply agreements.
Prior to Bowditch, Rory practiced at a Boston law firm, focusing on corporate and real estate transactional matters. Before entering private practice, Rory coached collegiate baseball and then worked in professional baseball for a number of years. He now draws on this passion in his law practice, where he has represented various sports clubs and athletes.
In his spare time, Rory enjoys coaching and watching his children play and compete in their various youth sports programs. Rory loves to cook, exercise, travel and play golf (not necessarily in that order).
- Smaller Business Association of New England (“SBANE”), Human Resources Committee, Co-Chair
- LEED Green Associate credential (pending)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association, Business Litigation Committee
- Member, New York Bar Association, Securities Committee
- Volunteer, Greater Boston Council of the Jimmy Fund
- General Counsel, New Bedford Bay Sox
- Roger Williams University School of Law, Law Review (Notes and Comments Editor 1999-2000)
Articles + Talks
- “Great Places to Work Share Best Practices for Success,” Co-Chair, SBANE HR Committee, January 2014
- “Restrictive Employment Covenants: Protecting Your Most Valuable Business Interests,” Rhode Island Continuing Legal Education, May 2013
- “Mitigating Your Employment Risks: Restrictive Covenants in Massachusetts,” SBANE, January 2013
- “Managing Business Liability Risks for Emerging Business,” SBANE, 2012
- “Proper Classification of Contractors and Employees,” Rhode Island Continuing Legal Education, May 2011
- “Proper Classification of Contractors and Employees,” SBANE Webinar, 2011
- “Understanding Real Estate Liens,” 2011-2014
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First and Federal Circuits
- J.D., Roger Williams University School of Law
- M.Ed., East Stroudsburg University
- B.A., Hobart and William Smith Colleges
- Represented computer hardware and IT services company in sale of stock from ESOP trust to private equity sponsor
- Closed multiple add-on and strategic acquisitions to achieve growth strategy for private equity portfolio companies
- Negotiated and documented major supply and services agreements on behalf of technology client
- Leasing counsel for landlord in Greater Boston multi-building office park
- Represented lead investor in real estate joint venture
- Drafted and negotiated construction contract documents on behalf of owner for national renovation and improvement project of retail branch properties