We are looking for a full time (non-exempt), experienced Trust & Estates (T&E) paralegal. This hybrid position is based in our Worcester office 4 days per week and remotely 1 day per week. This individual will interact directly with T&E attorneys and legal administrative assistants. Prior experience is required.
We are seeking an experienced Trust & Estates paralegal to support attorneys in the growing Trust & Estates practice area. The position will work from our Worcester location. The Trust & Estates paralegal handles a wide variety of tasks to assist attorneys in their practices, including drafting trust and estate documents and communicating with clients. The candidate will be responsible for assisting attorneys, other paralegals and firm members with all aspects of estate planning and trust administration work in a team-oriented practice group.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Performance of all phases of trust and estate administration, to include but not limited to the following:
- Organizing and analyzing asset information
- Valuing of assets and strategizing allocation to sub trusts
- Preparing inventories, asset allocation agreements, asset transfer documents and Judicial Council forms
- Researching and drafting grant deeds, trust transfer deeds and supporting documents
- Drafting probate pleadings, including fiduciary reports/accountings, spousal property petitions, Heggstad petitions, etc.
- Assisting with Estate and Gift Tax return preparation
- Disseminating information from bank, brokerage and other financial statements
- Maintaining checkbooks and banking records, paying bills and computing and disbursing beneficiary distributions, computing and payment of executor and trustee commissions
- Preparing of formal and informal estate and trust accountings
- Marshalling assets and arranging for valuation as necessary
Probate Court practice responsibilities include:
- Reading and interpreting wills and trust instruments
- Preparing and filing all documents required to probate wills such as receipt and release agreements, disclaimers, affidavits, accounting petitions
- Handling issuance and revocation of letters and other miscellaneous proceedings, including preparing petitions and overseeing service on interested parties
- Should be proficient to advanced with MS Word, Excel, Office and Publisher
- Familiarity with local court rules and procedures is critical
- Knowledge of records management applications such as NetDocs is a plus
- Paralegal Certification from an approved program is preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of paralegal experience in Trust & Estates and probate administration, preferably in a law firm
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Attention to detail
Dedicated to Diversity: Bowditch & Dewey focuses on inclusive hiring of those candidates having excellent skills with a broad range of experiences, knowledge, and perspectives. Diversity within the Firm promotes an open and mutually respectful workplace and the delivery of superior service to its clients.
If you are interested in becoming part of an organization which provides exceptional service, cost effective representation and successful results, please send cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources DepartmentBowditch & Dewey, LLP
311 Main Street
P.O. Box 15156
Worcester, MA 01615-0156
Equal Opportunity Employer