Women Lawyers Group
Women Lawyers GroupBowditch & Dewey is committed to the advancement and success of our women attorneys. The Women Lawyers Group provides an internal network of support that encourages growth and achievement.
Members actively promote women internally and externally, create a strong sense of team among our women, and support business development efforts. They also host networking events for our female clients and provide educational programs focused on the needs and interests of female attorneys.
Our female attorneys serve in a variety of leadership positions within the firm and throughout the community. Every female attorney is a member of the Women’s Bar Association and Jim Hanrahan, managing partner, was one of the first male members of the WBA.
Donna Truex, partner in the firm’s Real Estate & Environmental Group, chairs Bowditch & Dewey’s Women Lawyers Group. She also serves as chair of the Central Massachusetts Committee of the Women’s Bar Association.
Kristin Shirahama, partner in the firm’s Estate, Financial & Tax Planning Group, serves as the 2016 President of the Women’s Bar Association and Pamela Berman, partner in the firm’s Litigation Group, is a President Emeritus.
AiVi Nguyen, partner in the firm’s Litigation practice, chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee.
Recent Awards and Recognition
- Bowditch & Dewey received a legal marketing award for the 2015 efforts of the firm’s women’s initiative
- Jennifer Garner was selected for participation in the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce's 2016 Women's Leadership Program
- Kathy Garrahan was included among Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s 2015 “Top Women of the Law”
- Pamela Berman received the Lelia J. Robinson award from the Women's Bar Association in 2014, the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly “Top Women of Law Circle of Excellence” award in 2013 and the Women of Justice Award in 2008
- Donna Truex received the 2014 Worcester Business Journal Outstanding Women in Business Award
For decades, Bowditch & Dewey has been at the forefront of the advancement of women in law firms. In 1955, Irene Gowetz became a named partner at the firm (then known as Bowditch, Gowetz and Lane) at a time when there were few women attorneys at major law firms, much less partners.
History of Female Leadership at Bowditch
Jane Hawkes currently leads the firm’s Boston office, and was one of the first women to serve as Managing Partner of a major Massachusetts law firm. Jane also serves as Practice Area Leader of the firm’s Business & Finance practice.
In 2003, Bowditch & Dewey launched its “Women’s Initiative” with the goal of supporting the advancement and retention of women at the firm.