Mark Borenstein is an experienced attorney with a demonstrated focus on real estate, corporate law, banking, and regulatory matters. Mark’s breadth of knowledge and experience in representing individuals, companies and nonprofit organizations in connection with the acquisition and sale of real estate, leasing and land use, development and permitting make him an asset to the Real Estate & Environmental Practice Area.
Mark regularly appears before municipal boards and commissions to obtain necessary permitting and licensing. He assists business clients with entity formation, transactional matters and regulatory compliance as well. Mark also advises nonprofits on matters relating to corporate governance and applications for tax exemption.
Clients often turn to Mark for his broad knowledge of the local Worcester community, culture and businesses. He is also a member of the 2018 “40 Under Forty” class, an honor given by the Worcester Business Journal. Mark was named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star for 2019 and 2020.
Prior to joining Bowditch, Mark was an Associate at another Worcester law firm, where he focused his practice on transactional matters, including business acquisitions, real estate and land use matters. He also represented lenders in commercial workouts.
Mark is an avid traveler, having visited other countries spanning across Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Mark can also speak conversational Spanish.
In the News
- Worcester Telegram & Gazette quotes Mark Borenstein in “Politics and the City: Worcester mellow over home delivery for marijuana”
- Worcester Telegram & Gazette features Mark Borenstein in “Planning Board OKs continuing care retirement community proposal for former SPM site”
- Worcester Telegram & Gazette quotes Mark Borenstein in “Minority-owned petitioner lands local approval for marijuana retail business in Worcester”
- Super Lawyers’ Rising Star 2020 for the field of Land Use/Zoning
- Member, Worcester County Bar Association – Executive Committee and Government Relations Committee
- Corporator and Trustee, Worcester Historical Museum
- Officer and Director, Squares Squared, Inc. (Operator of POW! WOW! Worcester)
- Organizer, Worcester Jewish History Project (in collaboration with the Worcester Historical Museum)
- Corporator, Greater Worcester Community Foundation
- Officer and Director, Latin American Health Alliance of Central Massachusetts, Inc.
- Director, Worcester Jewish Community Center, Inc.
- City of Worcester Community Development Advisory Committee
- Leadership Worcester, Class of 2015
Articles + Talks
- “Use zoning to your development’s advantage,” Worcester Business Journal, January 21, 2019
- “Before you open the hot new restaurant…,” Worcester Business Journal, September 3, 2018
- “How To Protect Your Clients & Yourselves in An Ultra-Competitive Market,” Realtors Association of Central MA webinar, March 18, 2021
- “A Brush with the Law…” Podcast, Pop It, December 20, 2018
Bar + Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- New York
- J.D., Western New England University School of Law
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Massachusetts Amherst