AiVi Nguyen practices as a trial lawyer and represents businesses of all sizes and in all stages of growth, with a focus on business and employment litigation.
She represents a diverse range of clients in adversarial proceedings at the trial level in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut as well as the Massachusetts Appellate Courts and in various Federal District and Circuit Courts. Her experience extends to a variety of complex business matters including breach of contract, employment and G.L. 93A disputes. She also represents clients before state regulatory and adjudicatory agencies, and has defended other attorneys before Board of Bar Overseers in disciplinary proceedings.
AiVi’s broad litigation background has provided her with an understanding of business needs in a range of industries. She counsels owners and executives of companies of all sizes on day-to-day issues and frequently acts as the firm’s point of contact for clients. She regularly provides advice with the aim of avoiding litigation, but when necessary, AiVi guides clients through each step of the litigation process, with the goal of providing the best result in the most expedient and cost-effective manner.
Worcester is AiVi’s hometown, and she is committed to its continued economic and cultural progress. In addition to chairing Bowditch & Dewey’s Diversity Committee, AiVi also serves on the City of Worcester’s Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee and as a Trustee of Quinsigamond Community College.
AiVi is a 2015 recipient of the “40 Under Forty” Award by the Worcester Business Journal. She is also a 2016 recipient of the YWCA of Central Massachusetts Katharine F. Erskine award in the category of Business & Law, which honors women who have shown not only achievement in their professions, but also dedication to social and racial equality, community involvement and serving as a role model for women and girls.
AiVi is a leading contributor to two of the firm’s blogs: “At the Bar with Bowditch” and “LGBTQ Legal Issues.” Her opinion and legal commentary pieces are frequently featured in local publications such as GoLocalWorcester.com.
AiVi was a Summer Associate at Bowditch & Dewey, LLP in 2008. She was also a Judicial Intern for The Honorable F. Dennis Saylor, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts 2007-2008.
Admitted to Practice:
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
The United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
The Supreme Court of the United States
- Successfully stayed litigation and compelled arbitration while pursuing breach of contract claims in an employment dispute; handled all aspects of arbitration, including client management, written discovery issues, depositions and motion practice including Opposition to Motion for Summary Judgment
- Successfully opposed Motion to Dismiss while pursuing breach of contract and G.L. 93A claims arising from a contractor’s failure to properly install kitchen fixtures; handled all aspects of litigation, including client management, settlement negotiations, written discovery, depositions and motion practice
- Successfully obtained dismissal of Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act, conversion and conspiracy claims filed in federal court against an individual.
- Successfully negotiated favorable results for institutional client in complex dispute over decedent’s property
- Successfully defended mortgage company against borrowers in multiple litigations, resulting in a favorable opinions for client in Massachusetts Superior Courts and in the First Circuit
- Second chair in commercial real estate dispute over property damage between landlord and tenant with favorable results to tenant
- Successfully negotiated dispute among partners in closely held franchise partnership with favorable results to client
- Successfully intervened in reach and apply action and obtained judgment in client’s favor
- Chair, Diversity Committee of Bowditch & Dewey, LLP
- Board of Directors, United Way of Central Massachusetts
- Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, City of Worcester
- Board of Trustees, Quinsigamond Community College, 2010-2016
- Former Worcester Advisory Board Member, Bottom Line
- Attorney Advisory Committee, Boston Lawyers Group
- Corporator, Greater Worcester Community Foundation
- Member, Worcester County Bar Association
- Member, Asian-American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts
- "Drugs & Alcohol on Campus: Protecting the University in 2017,” Bowditch & Dewey, Worcester/South Hadley, Massachusetts, May 2017
- "Lady Boss: Millennial Women in Charge,” Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce’s Women’s Leadership Conference, Worcester, Massachusetts, April 2017