Douglas T. Radigan
Doug Radigan is an aggressive advocate with substantial trial and dispute resolution experience who represents a diverse variety of corporate and individual clients in complex commercial and other civil litigation matters. He has litigated cases in state and federal courts in Massachusetts at both the trial and appellate levels involving a wide variety of disputes including:
- Claims of malpractice;
- Allegations of fraud, theft, breach of fiduciary duties, conspiracy and other alleged improprieties;
- Insurance coverage disputes;
- Contract disputes;
- Commercial lease evictions and breaches;
- Commercial and residential mortgage foreclosures;
- Environmental enforcement actions and other environmental disputes;
- Land boundary claims and other real property disputes;
- Enforcement of easements and other covenants restricting the use of real estate;
- Manufacturing and distribution disputes;
- Premises and products liability claims;
- Corporate and partnership dissolutions and disputes;
- Claims for contribution and indemnification;
- Wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims;
- Claims for breach of non-competition covenants, non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality restrictions and a wide variety of employment matters;
- Trade secret claims;
- Claims due to exposure to asbestos, mold and other toxic and hazardous substances;
- Construction litigation; and
- Claims alleging unfair trade practices and violations of consumer protection laws.
He frequently assists his business clients with strategic counseling and key risk management decisions involving internal corporate disputes.
He is frequently retained directly by other law firms and attorneys who have sought out his services for representation and advice.
Doug has been repeatedly selected for inclusion in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars in the areas of Business Litigation, Insurance Coverage, and Civil Litigation. Doug received the Worcester Business Journal's "40 Under 40" award in 2016.
Admitted to Practice:
- Successfully litigated and mediated a derivative-shareholder lawsuit or "freeze out" claim, arising from a dispute between the owners of a closely-held corporation, on terms very favorable to his client.
- Successfully litigated and mediated a very favorable settlement for our client in a case involving a family dispute over a multi-million dollar Trust.
- Secured preliminary and permanent injunctions on behalf of a leading global healthcare and diagnostics company against its former business partner for trade secret misappropriation.
- Awarded summary judgment in favor of a client developer who had sought declaratory and injunctive relief to prevent a municipality from terminating a mixed use development's rights to the town water supply after the client had already invested millions in its redevelopment.
- Successfully defended claims brought against his client, a physician, who was sued by his former practice for unpaid expenses and excessive compensation. In reaching a successful resolution for his client, Doug was able to demonstrate that the claimants had failed to properly account for expenses already reimbursed, incorrectly calculated each partner’s basis, and failed to properly account for outstanding accounts receivables.
- Obtained a seven-figure arbitration award against a general contractor client on behalf of his clients who were experiencing construction defects in their new home.
- Obtained an arbitration award on behalf of client, a world-wide manufacturer of portable ultrasound machines, who was sued by one of its distributors for breach of contract, implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and violations of Mass. G.L. c. 93a for failing to honor the exclusivity provisions of its distribution agreement and failing to deliver marketable goods. The distributor had sought over $2.3 million dollars in single damages, in addition to double or treble damages. The Arbitrator ruled in favor Doug’s client on all counts and awarded his client $300,000.00 for its counter-claims along with a declaratory order terminating any further claims or rights of the distributor.
- Successfully obtained a stay from the First Circuit Court of Appeals of certain contested conditions of a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System Permit issued to the Petitioner by the EPA until completion of judicial review of the EPA’s Agency’s decision. At the time, it was the first stay granted by any Circuit Court for an EPA permitting action.
- Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement for a client who had significant exposure for environmental response action costs and attorneys’ fees under CERCLA and G.L. c. 21E.
- Officer and Director, Worcester Young Businessmen’s Association
- Member, Worcester County Bar Association
- Member, Worcester County Federal Bar Association
- Vice-President, Investment Committee Chair, Worcester County Horticultural Society f/k/a Tower Hill