Louis M. Ciavarra
Lou Ciavarra is the immediate past Managing Partner of the Firm and now the Leader of the Litigation Practice Area. For a
Lou has tried and won numerous jury and bench trials in federal and state courts on matters involving complex business disputes, intell
Lou has the highest
When Lou was Managing Partner of the Firm, the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus named him a “Good Guys” honoree for his ongoing commitment and partnership in achieving equality for women. He is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), an invitation-only honorary society that includes less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers.
Representative cases that Lou has handled include a copyright infringement trial on behalf of a software client; an action to enjoin unlawful competition and protection of trade secrets; defense in a suit by the acquirer of a subsidiary of our client alleging breach of contract and a claim of securities fraud against our client.
- Lead trial counsel for a multi-billion dollar international engineering and environmental firm in connection with a radiological remediation of a Nuclear Regulatory Commission licensed site in which the parties’ claims and counterclaims are in the multi-millions of dollars.
- Lead trial counsel for a large national software company asserting tens of millions of dollars in damages resulting from the copyright infringement and breach of license agreement by a licensee.
- Represents an international power company and utility in all of its litigation, commercial and tort defense, in Massachusetts.
- Lead trial counsel for a multi-billion dollar defense contractor defending claims of trade secret theft arising out of the design and manufacture of sophisticated military vehicles.
- Represents a major Massachusetts political party in defense of claims arising out of alleged misconduct in the nomination process for elected office.
- Represents several privately held companies in which the founders are in litigation over operations and ownership rights.
- Represents a large Four Star hotel in Boston involving claims against the contractor for damages in excess of many millions of dollars.
- Represented a national broker dealer and financial services firm for over 20 years, including all of its securities related litigation in Massachusetts.
Admitted to Practice:
United States District Court of Massachusetts
First Circuit Court of Appeals
United States Court of Federal Claims
- Former Executive Vice President for the First Circuit, Federal Bar Association;
- Former President, Federal Bar Association, District of Massachusetts;
- Founding Member, United States Federal Court Advisory Committee;
- Former Chairman, Federal Court Committee, Worcester County Bar Association;
- Member, Board of Directors, Worcester Chamber of Commerce;
- Member, Board of Directors, Female Leadership Interest Council (FLIC);
ector, Bottom Line;
- Director, New Garden Park, Inc.
- Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs, 495/MetroWest Suburban Edge Community Commission