Mark A. Borenstein is an experienced real estate attorney who handles complex land use matters, acquisitions and dispositions, and leasing matters. Mark represents clients in a variety of land use and zoning matters relating to the development of commercial, residential, mixed-use, industrial, life science and institutional projects throughout Central Massachusetts. As a lifelong resident of Worcester, clients often turn to Mark for his broad knowledge of the local Worcester community, culture, and businesses. He is known as a resourceful professional with a distinct ability to bring clients, community members, and governmental stakeholders together.
Mark’s experience includes counseling within the food and beverage industry, representing breweries, wineries, distilleries, restaurants, and retailers in all stages of licensing and regulatory compliance.
Mark is considered a top-rated land use and zoning attorney and is also a co-editor of the Commercial Real Estate Insight & News blog.
Mark and his wife are avid travelers and proud dog parents to two pit bull rescues. Mark speaks conversational Spanish.
- Co-chair, Municipal Law Section; Member, Executive Committee and Government Relations Committee, Worcester County Bar Association
- Corporator and Trustee, Worcester Historical Museum
- Officer and Director, Worcester Walls (formerly POW! WOW! Worcester)
- Organizer, Worcester Jewish History Project (in collaboration with the Worcester Historical Museum)
- Corporator, Greater Worcester Community Foundation
- Officer and Director, Latin American Health Alliance of Central Massachusetts, Inc.
- Director, Worcester Jewish Community Center, Inc.
- City of Worcester Community Development Advisory Committee
- Leadership Worcester, Class of 2015
- “People to Watch 2023,” Pulse Magazine
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2022 Excellence in the Law award – Up & Coming Lawyer
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Land Use and Zoning Law (since 2022) and Real Estate Law (since 2022)
- Super Lawyers’ Rising Star, Land Use/Zoning (2019-2023)
- 2018 “40 Under Forty” class, Worcester Business Journal
Articles + Talks
- “10 Things I know about … Pub brewery conversions,” Worcester Business Journal, August 21, 2023
- “Use zoning to your development’s advantage,” Worcester Business Journal, January 21, 2019
- “Before you open the hot new restaurant…,” Worcester Business Journal, September 3, 2018
- “Massachusetts Alcohol Law Myth Busters,” Mass Brewers Guild Technical Brewing & Business Conference, November 7, 2022
- “Q1 Broker Power Series – Holy Shift,” The Realtor Association of Central Massachusetts, April 8, 2022
- “Survival to Recovery: Restaurants, Hospitality & Tourism,” Worcester Business Journal, October 20, 2021 (Moderator)
- “How To Protect Your Clients & Yourselves in An Ultra-Competitive Market,” Realtors Association of Central MA, March 18, 2021
- “A Brush with the Law…” Podcast, Pop It, December 20, 2018
- “City planning conditionally approves 8-story mixed-use complex near Polar Park” (Worcester Telegram & Gazette)
- “Home Field advantage: Local attorneys smooth the path for developers” (Worcester Business Journal)
- Attorneys Mark Borenstein and Anthony Dragga Elected to Partner
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- New York
- J.D., Western New England University School of Law
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Massachusetts Amherst